***SEE BOTTOM FOR SCHEDULE***
SOFTBALL AT ST. JOHN'S
Come join the Saints & Sinners softball team! This Sunday (6/8) we'll be hosting coffee hour and have hot dogs (courtesy of Aidell's), popcorn, and more. Our Games will start Monday, June 15th. They are Monday or Wednesday evenings at either 6 or 7:15 p.m., Coaches Field, Moraga Road. Co-ed, casual play. Cost is $60 (make checks out to St. John's but give to Tom). Let us know if cost is a hardship. Scholarships are available. We'll have details on T-shirts and the schedule of games soon.
Season begins on Monday June 16th and ends about August 14th. Fans, family, and friends are always welcome to attend any of our games!
We always play at Coaches Field in Piedmont. You can click here for directions and please be aware that there is limited parking.
FOR RETURNING SOFTBALL PLAYERS
-- Sarah will be coaching on game days and Tom will be helping with organizing this year.
-- Our schedule is posted below and our first game is Monday, June 16 at 7:15 p.m. Come at least a 1/2 hour early so you can warm up and we can set our roster.
-- bring a baseball related coffee hour item for this Sunday's 10 a.m. service
-- T-shirt info will also be forthcoming.
-- The WAIVER AND FEE info is located below but the cost is $60 per season and scholarships are available to help.
-- We always are looking for new players, especially women for this Co-ed league.
If you have never read our crazy league rules, please do read. They are quite entertaining. The sum of the important quirky rules are:
AVOID COLLISIONS NO MATTER WHAT!
- To that end, DO NOT TOUCH HOME or you will be called OUT.
- Same with ducking out of a potential double play if you are running into second.
- And plays at home are automatic forces: NO TAGGING necessary. There is a commit line, or point of no return, two-thirds of the way down the third base line.
- MEN and WOMEN alternate batting, so if we have an uneven roster, it changes every time. You have to remember which person of the same sex you bat after.
- NO STEALING, SLIDING, BUNTING or LEADING OFF.
- MEN are thrown a 12-inch "soft" softball, while WOMEN are pitched an 11-inch "hard" softball.
- If a MAN is WALKED, he gets TWO BASES, and the next WOMAN up has the prerogative to either walk or hit (except where she would walk in a run-in turn, except in the last inning!)
- You start off with ONE BALL and ONE STRIKE. You can walk, and strike out, and you are automatically out after a second foul ball with two strikes.
- Finally, COMPOSITE, WOODEN and DOUBLE WALL bats are not allowed. Go with aluminum. We have short fences.
COMPLETE RULES CAN BE DOWNLOADED BELOW